A painfully honest examination of one woman's attempt to not only conquer her kitchen, but also remove herself from the shadow of her father's greatness and establish her own culinary identity... dramatic, aren't I? ;)

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Let's talk turkey...

...and ham, and a gazillion sides, and desserts...

Before I get on my soapbox, let me explain my lack of recent posts... my digital camera, to put it mildly, sucked as far as picture quality, but hey, it worked... well, up until recently, that is. I think we should all bow our heads and observe a moment of silence for my dearly departed camera....

OK!

Now, I had a powwow with my dad today concerning Thanksgiving, which is always a massive deal in my family. My father is known for his brilliant gourmet menus, and Thanksgiving is a great opportunity to show off one of his new creations, while ringing in the holiday season.

Sounds fun, right? Well, my role in recent years has been to take care of 1 or 2 side dishes, which is no big deal ... until this year. My dad has to work Thanksgiving Day and won't be home til about 3 in the afternoon... which only leaves him about an hour or so before we normally eat. DILEMMA!

Guess who's making Thanksgiving Dinner now?

Yup! That would be li'l ole ME. EEEEKKKK!!! Pardon me as I panic!

"What's wrong with that, Marina? It'll be a wonderful opportunity to show everyone your culinary skills? And besides, it's only a turkey..." you may be saying. To which I must politely respond, "HA! 'Only a turkey' you say!"

Allow me to share with you my daddy-approved menu:

Roast Turkey, approx. 18 lbs., brined overnight and roasted to perfection served with Apple Walnut Sausage Stuffing and some sort of lovely turkey gravy (made with drippings, of course)
Orange-Honey Glazed Ham, approx. 5 lbs.
Roast Garlic Mashed Potatoes
Sweet Potatoes with butter, cinnamon and sugar
My uber-creamy macaroni and cheese
Cranberry sauce (definitely NOT the canned stuff)
Green Bean Casserole
Butternut Squash soup
Bread Pudding
Biscuits (probably buttermilk)
And for dessert... Pumpkin Cognac Cheesecake

Oh, and my mom can be counted on to bake a ridiculous number of pies, and get in my way in the kitchen...

And did I mention that no, contrary to what the above menu implies, we are not feeding a small army? Most likely, it'll just be my parents, my boyfriend, myself and maybe 1 or 2 of my cousins, although we are inviting at least 7 or 8 other people.

Anyway, anyone have any thoughts on the menu? Any turkey day staples I may have overlooked that should be added?

3 weeks suddenly seems like an awfully short amount of time to prepare...

3 Comments:

Blogger wheresmymind said...

I'm sure you are gonna rock the partay!

9:19 AM

 
Blogger Lea said...

I hate to break it to you.. but you only have 2 weeks! O_O

Sounds like its gonna be quite a spread!!! But I'm sure once you get going you wont even notice how quickly and easily everything comes together! ;-) Besides.. nothing beats Thanksgiving leftovers!

11:16 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think your menu looks pretty complete! Definitely looks like it will be a lot of work, but oh it's always worth it!

I love me some turkey day! Past few years spent at my sisters house, who happens to be a great cook.. GOD I LOVE FOOD!!!

10:05 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home