A painfully honest examination of one woman's attempt to not only conquer her kitchen, but also remove herself from the shadow of her father's greatness and establish her own culinary identity... dramatic, aren't I? ;)

Friday, November 17, 2006

Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

I am not a baker.

But Wednesday night, I had to be. As I mentioned in my previous post, it was my boyfriend's birthday, and he had requested a carrot cake... yikes! What's a non-baker to do?

Well, fortunately I had a recipe in my box! My tried and true carrot cake was super-easy to make, and ridiculously yummy and decadent.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a medium - large bowl add the dry ingredients: 3 c all-purpose flour, 2 tsp baking powder, 2 tsp baking soda, .5 tsp salt, 2 tsp cinnamon and a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg. Combine thoroughly and set aside.

In a large bowl, mix 2 c sugar, 1.5 c cooking/vegetable oil (I use canola) and 4 eggs. I like to mix very well, until everything is fairly fluffy. Once that's done, slowly fold in (preferably with a wooden spoon) the dry ingredients in small increments. When thoroughly combined, add 2 large jars of baby food carrots (this is where I cheat - I refuse to grate carrots if I don't have to, and baby food is essentially pureed carrots and water). You can also add .5 cup of chopped nuts if you'd like.

Pour batter into an ungreased bundt pan and bake for 1 hour, or until tester comes out clean. Remove when done and set on a cooling rack for 15 - 20 minutes before flipping the cake out. Let cool completely (another 20 - 30 minutes) before frosting.

Now my favorite part, the cream cheese frosting!

In a small - medium bowl, mix together 1 lg package of cream cheese (softened) with 1 c powdered (confectioner's) sugar and 2 tsp vanilla extract. Whip until fluffy and creamy. Resist the urge to eat all the frosting before it ever touches the cake!

6 Comments:

Blogger wheresmymind said...

We want pictures!

9:54 AM

 
Blogger *Chef Marina* said...

LOL I would LOVE to post pictures... but unfortunately the camera (crappy as it was) died a few weeks ago! Just use your imagination for now :)

4:46 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmm.. Carrot Cake is by far my favorite!! You should stop by the office and share!! he he he...

9:40 PM

 
Blogger Lea said...

Pictures!!! No camera =/= excuse!!!

Use your cell phone!! ;-)

9:25 AM

 
Blogger *Chef Marina* said...

Greg: You'd have to PAY me to stop by that hellhole... there's a reason I quit working there! lol but I will try to remember to make that the next time we all get together :)

Lea: Now, if I used my cell phone, people would STILL complain about the poor picture quality - ya just can't win sometimes! ;) This is why I will be swiping my parents' camera for the festivities tomorrow. At least they have a good one! :)

4:19 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Say When.... =D

11:17 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home